Ray has been an online music writer for over four years. Having sung in multiple competitions as a youth, he has a passion for the art.
You can find several songs about sharks in rock, children's music, and rap genres, as well as some obscure ones that we found for this playlist. A shark is always on the hunt for prey, just as musicians are always on the lookout for a good melody. Browse this playlist of shark songs and you will surely find some you can sink your teeth into.
Which song about sharks do you love most? What are your favorites? If any songs about sharks aren't on this list, please add them.
1. "Mack the Knife"
Artist: Bobby Darin originally by Kurt Weill
Album: That's All
Year Released: 1959
Genre: Moritat Music
Facts About "Mack the Knife"
- "Mack the Knife" is one of the unique songs about sharks written in the early 90s.
- In 1928, Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht wrote this song for The Threepenny Opera.
- When Darin saw The Threepenny Opera in 1960 in Greenwich Village, he decided to perform this song.
- Bobby Darin scored a U.S. and U.K. number one hit with this song in 1959.
- The lyrics go like, "Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear And he shows them pearly white."
2. "Shooting Shark"
Artist: Blue Oyster Cult
Album: The Revolution by Night
Year Released: 1984
Genre: Pop Rock Music
Facts About "Shooting Shark"
- Blue Oyster Cult's "Shooting Shark" is a song on the band's ninth album, The Revolution by Night.
- "Shooting Shark" features synthesizers mixed with rock elements.
- Randy Jackson, the bass player on this song, later became an A&R veteran and a judge on American Idol.
- "The fourth time around is the last time around," as the man declares at the end of the song, leaving the listener to assume what will happen next.
- "Shooting Shark" reached #83 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #16 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart.
3. "Sharks Can't Sleep"
Artist: Tracy Bonham
Album: The Burdens of Being Upright
Year Released: 1996
Genre: Rock Music
Facts About "Sharks Can't Sleep"
- "Sharks Can't Sleep" is track #8 (third and last single) on Bonham's album The Burdens of Being Upright.
- Tracy Bonham is a Grammy-nominated American musician with multiple chart-topping songs.
- Although "Sharks Can't Sleep" failed to chart in the United States, it is still one of the best songs about sharks.
4. "Shark Attack"
Artist: Split Enz
Album: True Colours
Year Released: 1980
Genre: Rock Music
Facts About "Shark Attack"
- "Shark Attack" is a beautiful metaphor for getting dumped.
- Split Enz's fifth studio album, True Colours, was their first significant hit.
- In the U.S., "Shark Attack" was released after "I Got You," which succeeded on the singles chart.
- The elder Finn channels all his frustrations early in his career into one glorious blast on "Shark Attack."
- Critics say this shark music, which is about a sexy and evil woman, is crazy but lovable.
5. "Sharks Patrol These Waters"
Album: Volume Nine
Year Released: 1994
Genre: Electronic, Rock Music
Facts About "Sharks Patrol These Waters"
- "Sharks Patrol These Waters" is a shark theme song concentrated on guitar-based sounds.
- It is one of the best songs about sharks with a very funky and jazzy style.
- "Sharks Patrol These Waters" is the latest addition to Volume's series of cutting-edge alternative/indie-rock albums.
- "Shark Patrol These Waters" portrays a scenario where dangerous sharks in the water patrol, and you should save your lifeboat.
6. "Jaws Theme"
Artist: John Williams
Year Released: 2000
Genre: Classical Music
Facts About "Jaws Theme"
- "Jaws Theme" is one of the greatest songs about sharks with suspense and scary sounds.
- In 1975, MCA released Jaws: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack for Jaws on L.P., and in 1992, it was released on CD, featuring approximately a half-hour of new music by John Williams.
- In Williams' description of the theme, performed on the tuba, he said it sounds like a shark grinding at you, instinctual, relentless, unstoppable.
- In addition to earning Williams his second Academy Award, the film's score was ranked as the sixth-best score by the American Film Institute.
7. "Fast As a Shark"
Album: Restless and Wild
Year Released: 1982
Genre: Speed Metal Music
Facts About "Fast As a Shark"
- Accept's 1982 album Restless and Wild contains "Fast as a Shark."
- As a result of its fast double bass drumming, speed, and power, metal has reached a new level.
- Martin Popoff ranked "Fast as a Shark" at #33 in his chart The Top 500 Heavy Metal Songs of All Time.
8. "A Shark in Jets Clothing"
Year Released: 1976
Genre: Rock Music
Facts About "A Shark in Jets Clothing"
- Leonhard Bernstein's "West Side Story" is referenced by the finger-snapping in the song.
- "A Shark in Jets Clothing" is the 6th track on the album's side listing.
- Jimmy Destri, an American musician, wrote the lyrics of this shark music.
9. "Baby Shark"
Album: Baby Shark
Year Released: 2016
Genre: Animal Song
Facts About "Baby Shark"
- "Baby Shark" is one of the most famous shark songs for kids.
- "Baby Shark" is a children's song about a family of sharks who decide to go on a hunt together once they make an entrance.
- Despite its long history - some sources date the Baby Shark song back to the 1900s - it was a version by South Korean education brand Pinkfong that triggered the viral craze.
- It contains a continuous rhyme "doo doo doo doo doo doo," which exists solely for rhyme's sake and has no particular meaning behind it.
- It is one of the most playful shark tunes ever recorded, perfect for toddlers.
10. "A Swim with the Sharks"
Artist: Powerman 5000
Album: The Blood Splat Rating System
Year Released: 1995
Genre: Rock Music
Facts About "A Swim with the Sharks"
- "A Swim with the Sharks" is clearly about Jaws' shark movie.
- Powerman 5000 released another version of "A Swim With The Sharks" in 1997.
11. "The Shark Fighter!"
Artist: The Aquabats!
Album: Hi-Five Soup!
Year Released: 2010
Genre: Pop Rock, Comedy Rock, New Wave Music
Facts About "The Shark Fighter"
- "The Shark Fighter" is one of the shark songs from The Aquabats' fifth studio album Hi-Five Soup!, released in 2011.
- There is a humorous narrative in "The Shark Fighter!" that focuses on an outlandish adventure of a fictional character.
- It is one of the most incredible pop songs about sharks talking about the eponymous Shark Fighter, a wavy-haired ocean vigilante who dedicates his life to avenging the death of his past lover, a shark, by single-handedly fighting the shark population of the sea.
Album: Feels Like
Year Released: 2015
Genre: Alternative/Indie Music
Facts About "Sharktooth"
- "Sharktooth" is a bonus track that plays after "Bully."
- The shark song urges someone to grow up and stop blaming others.
- "Sharktooth" is one of the standout songs about sharks from Bully's modern twist album.
13. "Shark in the Water"
Artist: V V Brown
Album: Traveling Like the Light
Year Released: 2009
Genre: Pop Music
Facts About "Shark in the Water"
- V V Brown recorded "Shark in the Water" for her debut studio album Traveling Like the Light.
- Brown wrote the song in response to a past love who stalked her in his free time and was infidelity. It's a symbolic record about anxiety, and it's based on her experience with an affair.
- With its peak of #67 on the Billboard Hot 100, the song is her first single to chart in the U.S.
- As a result of Brown's re-recording, the song appeared in The Sims 3: Ambitions in the Simlish language, making it one of the most fabulous shark songs ever.
14. "Hammerhead Shark"
Artist: David Lee Roth
Album: A Little Ain't Enough
Year Released: 1991
Genre: Rock Music
Facts About "Hammerhead Shark"
- "Hammerhead Shark" is the 4th shark music Lee Roth's A Little Ain't Enough album.
- It is one of the best songs about sharks, especially the hammerhead ones, perfect for celebrating shark week.
- As mentioned earlier, it is a song quickly reached from Flotsam and Jetsam's track.
- In verse two, a drunken man fights a shark (obviously ironic), and in verse one, God tells Noah to make room for "my hammerhead shark."
Artist: Jimmy Buffett
Year Released: 1979
Genre: Rock Music, Gulf, and Western Music
Facts About "Fins"
- Jimmy Buffett recorded the song "Fins" as part of his debut album.
- In this song, men are metaphorically compared to sharks, making the song one of the best songs about sharks.
- The title refers to the fins of metaphorical sharks, such as "land sharks," or men who try to gain the woman's attention in the song.
Continuation List of Songs About Sharks
|Shark Song Title||Artist(s)|
16. “Deepest, Bluest”
LL Cool J
17. “The Rapper Eater”
Dwight Twilley Band
19. “Mr. Jaws”
Fall Out Boy
Panic! At The Disco
22. “Shark! Shark! Shark!”
23. “Petting Zoo Justice”
Dance Gavin Dance
24. “Pink Lemonade”
25. “Go To Hell, For Heaven’s Sake”
Bring Me The Horizon
26. “Till I Die”
Machine Gun Kelly
27. “Rocking The Boat”
Ice Nine Kills
Best Boy Grip
33. “Sharks Are Circling”
Daryl Hall & John Oates
35. “Main Title & First Victim”
36. “Snakes on a Plane 2: Sharks on a Rollercoaster”
A Dinosaur, Former Fat Boys
37. “Shark Teeth”
38. “Baby Shark Finger Family”
39. “Shark Bait”
40. “Baby Shark's Haunted House”
42. “Rivers of Sharks (Shark Week Edition)”
43. “Billy The Theme Park Shark”
44. “Love Shark”
Los Hermanos del Caballo
45. “Shark Bite”
46. “Shark Song”
47. “Great White Shark in my Swimming Pool”
48. “Say Goodbye to the Sharks”
49. “Cruise Ship”
50. “Shark City”
Explore More Song Lists Here
- 55 Songs About Diamonds
Listen to these songs about diamonds in which the word "diamonds" appears both in the title and lyrics.
- 40+ Songs About Tennessee
Here's the best selection of songs about Tennessee, with both hilarious and emotional lyrics. Tennessee songs capture the spirit of the great state, including the best pop songs about Tennessee, country songs about Tennessee, and songs with Tennessee
- 65 Songs About New York
Check out this list of songs about New York and songs with references to New York in the lyrics or title, even if the songs aren't specifically about the state, but rather stories or characters that take place there.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Ray
Why is the baby shark song so catchy? ›
A rhythm to sink your teeth into
“I believe the song appeals to children because of the combination of repetitive rhythms and lyrics, sequencing of movements, and a simple melody that builds anticipation,” he explains. Even kids who aren't yet verbal seem to enjoy bopping to the repeated sounds.
Scientists say sharks may have a musical preference, and it's not for classical music. A study found that one species of the finned predator, the Port Jackson shark, enjoys the sound of jazz – when there's food on offer.What age do kids like Baby Shark? ›
And like Nelson suggests, those hand motions are top notch dance moves that set the song apart. Parlakian says that they are "entirely doable for a 2 to 3-year-old, and allow them to participate 'all by themselves' while connecting (in parallel) with peers." It's practically magic.Is Pinkfong a boy or girl? ›
Pinkfong Wonderstar Characters
Pinkfong (voiced by Kyoung-i Jo in Korean, Colleen Villard in English) - A pink male fox from Staria and the main protagonist who helps solve his friends' problems with his magic star powers.
Main characters. Brooklyn "Baby" Shark (voiced by Kim Seo-yeong in Korean, Kimiko Glenn in English) is a yellow male shark and the main protagonist.Is Pinkfong a Chinese? ›
Pinkfong (Hangul: 핑크퐁) is a children's educational branch of The Pinkfong Company (formerly SmartStudy), a South Korean educational entertainment company.Who is the Baby Shark Boy? ›
Johnny Only's fans don't always call him by name. To some, Only is known as "the Baby Shark Guy." After years of performing his own version of the popular "Baby Shark" tune, the Endwell, New York-based children's entertainer and DJ, whose legal name is Jonathan Wright, became almost synonymous with the song.What does Pinkfong mean in Chinese? ›
'" The word "Pinkfong" doesn't mean anything, specifically — one of the founders thought that "fong" was a fun word because it sounded like "phone" — but now it refers to the company and its mascot, the bright pink fox you see before all their videos.Is Pinkfong a cat or fox? ›
Pinkfong is an alien fox.Does your period attract sharks? ›
A shark's sense of smell is powerful – it allows them to find prey from hundreds of yards away. Menstrual blood in the water could be detected by a shark, just like any urine or other bodily fluids. However, there is no positive evidence that menstruation is a factor in shark bites.
What sounds do sharks hate? ›
Sharks appear to dislike the noise of the bubbles scuba divers create as they breathe underwater. One researcher also found that playing the AD/DC song "You Shook Me All Night Long" did not repel sharks, but did seem to calm them and make them less aggressive, perhaps because they were curious about the sound.What attracts a shark to a human? ›
Yes, sharks can detect blood in water in minute quantities. However, some studies have shown that they are only really attracted to blood / body oils from fish and marine mammals - their natural prey. Experiments have shown that sharks respond most strongly to odours produced by injured or distressed prey.What age should kids watch squid? ›
What age is 'Squid Game' appropriate for? The age rating for "Squid Game" on Netflix is TV-MA, which means for mature audiences only. According to TV Guidelines, TV-MA indicates "this program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17.Can a 3 year old watch Squid Game? ›
Doctors at the Child Mind Institute – a nonprofit dedicated to children's mental health – recommend that no one should watch “Squid Game” until at least late adolescence, regardless of whether parents are watching with them.Whats the youngest a baby can laugh? ›
Most babies will begin laughing around month three or four. However, don't be concerned if your baby isn't laughing at four months. Each baby is different. Some babies will laugh earlier than others.What Color Is Daddy Shark? ›
There's the yellow Baby shark, pink Mommy shark and blue Daddy shark.What Color Is Mama shark? ›
|Family||Daddy Shark (husband) Baby Shark (son) Grandpa Shark (father-in-law) Grandma Shark (mother-in-law)|
Baby Shark (character)
|Brooklyn 올리 Ollie|
|Family||Mommy Shark (mother) Daddy Shark (father) Grandma Shark (grandmother) Grandpa Shark (grandfather) Little Baby Shark|
Baby sharks are called pups.
Some hatch from eggs laid by the mother, just like fish. Other times, the eggs hatch inside the mother and then the babies are born.
The male will insert his clasper into the female's cloaca, releasing sperm and fertilizing her eggs. This usually happens whilst the sharks are swimming parallel to one another, the male will hold on to the female with his teeth, often inflicting bite marks along the female's body.
Who is the CEO of Pinkfong? ›
Bin Jeong became the CEO of Pinkfong USA (a subsidiary of SmartStudy) in 2016. Since joining SmartStudy, Bin successfully led the company's international business development efforts focused on the U.S. market to open more distribution channels for digital content, apps, and offline products.When did Baby Shark come out? › Is Pinkfong rich? ›
Pinkfong is valued at about 1 trillion won ($1.1 billion) as per local media reports, and the family, the biggest shareholders, is worth around $US300 million ($404 million), according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Kim didn't comment further on the company's valuation.What's the most watched thing ever? ›
|1||Funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales||1997|
|2||Wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer||1981|
|3||2000 Summer Olympics closing ceremony||2000|
|4||2000 Summer Olympics opening ceremony||2000|
It follows Baby Shark and his best friend, William the fish, as they journey on comedic adventures in their community of Carnivore Cove. PINKFONG's popular brand, Baby Shark, is back with a fun-filled preschool series.How much does a Baby Shark make? ›
According to data from BonusInsider, the original "Baby Shark Dance" video currently earns its creators around $283,000 each month from the roughly 150 million views it receives – making $9,400 daily!Is Baby Shark Cancelled? ›
The upcoming performance of Baby Shark Live! has been canceled due to COVID-19. We had hoped to proceed with the upcoming performance as originally scheduled but due to the continuously evolving situation, we have been advised to take this unfortunate action.Does Cocomelon own Baby Shark? ›
Technically no one owns the song because it's classified as a traditional, he adds, or so he initially thought. Like all traditional songs, Baby Shark has been passed down orally through generations, surviving in the camp communities all around the world, and dates back to at least the 1900s.What is Megalodon in Chinese? ›
巨牙鲨 : megalodon (Carc... : jù yá shā | Definition | Mandarin Chinese Pinyin English Dictionary | Yabla Chinese.How old is Pinkfong? ›
Pinkfong is a children's entertainment brand, established in 2010. It specializes in creating educational content for kids. It is a subsidiary of The Pinkfong Company, based in South Korea.
Is Baby Shark Disney? ›
Watch Baby Sharks | Full movie | Disney+ Baby sharks are cute, but they need to grow up fast.At what age can babies watch TV? ›
When it comes down to it, the fact is this: the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that children begin to watch TV and use screens only after reaching 18 months.How old is JJ in Cocomelon? ›
The relative age of J.J. can be 2-4 years old. The playground J.J. studies in is called Melon Patch Academy, as seen in the video The First Day of School.Why do we find songs catchy? ›
There may be cognitive reasons behind a tune's appeal, he suggests. Referring to a study done at Dartmouth College last year, Duffy explains that "MRIs show that a catchy song makes the auditory part of the brain 'itch', and the only way the itch can be scratched is by listening to the song."What does Baby Shark teach kids? ›
Jamming to 'Baby Shark' can help you learn CPR: This dad used it to teach his 3-year-old. Not only is the catchy tune a life-saver when a parent is trying to get some work done, but it turns out "Baby Shark" can be an actual lifesaver.Are sharks attracted to music? ›
Sharks are most attracted to low-frequency, erratic thumping sounds that mimic prey in distress. In the Discovery Channel's Bride of Jaws (2015) documentary, researchers used an underwater speaker playing heavy metal music (low-frequency dominated music) to successfully lure great whites for filming purposes.Do sharks love their babies? ›
Sharks do not care for their babies after they are born, but they do search for a safe place where they can lay their eggs or give birth.What is the world catchiest song? ›
When she's not daydreaming about flying through space, she's daydreaming about bats. The catchiest song of all time has been revealed, and it ought to surprise absolutely no one. When it comes to recognisability, Spice Girls' "Wannabe" is number one, with users taking, on average, just 2.29 seconds to pick the song.Why do songs get caught in your head? ›
Why Earworms Get Stuck In Our Heads. Earworms can occur due to the brain's attempt to fill a gap in the auditory cortex, which is located in the temporal lobe. When you hear a song over and over, the brain transmits that sound information to the “phonological loop,” a short-term memory system in the auditory cortex.Why are some songs so addictive? ›
“When you listen to tunes that move you, your brain releases dopamine, a chemical involved in both motivation and addiction.” Dopamine is an organic chemical that is vital to the health of the mind and body.
What do sharks call their babies? ›
We call baby sharks pups. Some sharks give birth to live pups and others lay eggs, much like a chicken!Why do little kids watch squid game? ›
Why Are Kids Interested In Squid Game? Children often engage in observational learning. "This essentially means they imitate behaviors that they see by watching others," explains Rebecca Cowan, Ph. D., LPC, NCC, the owner of Virginia-based Anchor Counseling & Wellness, LLC.